Simple yet scrumptiously satisfying, we make this adapted taste.com recipe all the time for the fam bam. Red capsicum is just so flavoursome when its roasted! This is a great recipe for dinner or we use the leftovers for lunch the next day. Yummo!
4 x large red capsicums
500g of beef mince
1 x onion, finely chopped
1 x large carrot, grated
2 x garlic cloves, crushed (or two teaspoons of minced garlic)
1/2 cup of chopped flat leaf parsley, chopped
1 x tablespoon of dried oregano
1/2 cup of long grain rice
1 x 400g can of chopped tomatoes
3/4 cup of grated parmesan
1. Preheat oven 180C fan-forced. Slice tops from each capsicum. Scoop out seeds and membrane into bin. Stand capsicums in a baking paper-lined roasting pan or tray and cook in oven for ten minutes.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large non- stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
3. Add the mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 5 to 10 minutes or until browned. Add herbs, canned tomato, rice and 1/2 cup cold water plus a little salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for ten minutes or until sauce starts to thicken.
4. Taste to check if rice has softened a little. Add 1/2 the amount of parmesan to the meat mixture and stir through.
4. Take out the capsicums, they should have softened a little. Spoon mince mixture evenly into the middle of the capsicums, sprinkle with the rest of the parmesan and pop back in the oven for another 10 to 15 minutes, until the capsicums have browned a little.
5. Serve with salad greens or just as is! Delish!