There is a surpass of strawberries being shipped in from QLD right now which means they are red, ripe and cheap!
Our families love strawberries. Sliced on top of Greek yoghurt and muslie in the morning, scattered over ice-cream for a sweet treat or simply eaten straight from the punnet!
In this case, we have jam packed them into these easy Strawberry Muffins, perfect for afternoon tea and a few sneaky “chefs treats” (sampling straight from the punnet) while making them is half the fun!
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 3/4 cups self raising flour (we used wholemeal*)
1 cup chopped strawberries (plus extra for decorating)
*If you use wholemeal self raising flour you made need an additional splash of milk as the mixture can become a bit dry
METHOD (makes 8 large muffins)
1. Pre heat oven to 190 degrees celcius and line a muffin tin with 8 large muffin cases.
2. In a small bowl or jug whisk together the oil, milk and egg until well combined, set aside.
3. In a large bowl, gently mix together the sugar, flour and chopped strawberries.
4. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients, folding together gently until well combined (if you used wholemeal flour this may be the point where you need to pop in an additional splash of milk if the mixture is a bit dry.)
5. Using an ice-cream scoop (to ensure perfect portions) scoop the mixture into the 8 muffin cases then decorate by placing half a chopped strawberry on top of each muffin.
6. Bake in the oven for 15-20mins (or until nice and golden) then leave to cool on a baking rack for another 10-15mins.