These are quite possibly the best scones I have ever tasted, so, naturally, I had to share them with as many Mama’s as I could.
After tasting these delicious fluffy scones complete with jam and cream at a birthday party recently, I just had to steal… I mean… borrow the recipe from the amazing Mama who made them, Maureen. Maureen is a friend of mine’s, mother.
When your a lover of all things baked, like we are, you tend to put your judging hat on when you try someone else’s baked goods and I have to say this Devonshire Tea got a 10 out of 10 from me!
3 x cups of self raising flour
1 x cup of lemonade
1 x cup of thickened cream
Pinch of salt
1 x tablespoon of castor sugar
1. Pre heat oven to 200 degrees.
2. Put all the ingredients together in a bowl, stir a little with a spoon and then mix together with your fingers but don’t over mix or the scones can turn out too dense rather than fluffy.
3. Place on lightly floured board and press down flat until the dough is about 1cm thick (you can use a rolling pin if you like but again don’t roll it too much).
4. Cut out scones with a small glass (dip glass in extra flour each time you cut out a scone).
5. Place scones close together on greased tray and glaze with milk.
6. Bake for 15-20 mins but keep an eye on them. My oven tends to cook the outside before the inside so I only cook mine for 15 minutes.
7. Serve warm with butter, jam and cream and berry on top if you wish!