LEFT OVER TURKEY FRIED RICE
Christmas Turkey! Yummmm! Together with a few pantry/fridge staples, today I’m making “left over turkey fried rice!” You can have it on the plate within 30mins and the best thing is the kids are guaranteed to eat it which will all know is the ultimate #mumgoal
1 x tablespoon oil
2 x cups rice (long grain or jasmine)
2 x eggs, lightly beaten
250g x bacon cut into small pieces
2 x cups left Christmas turkey, shredded
3 x spring onions, chopped
1 x cup frozen peas
1 x carrot, chopped small
1 x good splash soy sauce (and extra for serving)
Black pepper (for this recipe I prefer powdered over cracked)
1. Start by cooking the RICE using your usual method. I am partial to a rice cooker, consistent results every time! Just make sure you use the 1 to 1.5 method – 1 cup of rice to 1.5 cups water so for this recipe I used 3 cups of water for the 2 cups of rice.
2. Once the rice is cooked, transfer to a large platter/tray, spread out into a thin layer and refrigerate (if you are super organised you could do this the night before then once cool pop into an airtight container ready for use the next day.
3. Whilst the rice is cooking heat the OIL in a large frying pan or wok then add the beaten EGG swirling around the pan to make a large omelette, flip to cook on both sides then remove from the pan and cut into long strips, set to one side.
4. Add the BACON to the pan, cook until it starts to brown.
5. Add the ONIONS, CARROTS & PEAS and continue to cook for another 3 – 4mins until the carrot and peas both become tender.
6. Add the shredded Christmas TURKEY and season with the black pepper, stir until the turkey is heated through.
7. Remove the cooled RICE from the fridge and add, one cup at a time to the pan until you have the right ratio of meat & veg to rice. I always advise this instead of just adding all of the rice at once because there is nothing worse than having to dig for the good bits in a bowl full of rice!
8. Give it a good stir whilst adding a big splash of SOY SAUCE to taste.
9. Remove from the heat and serve Yum!
TIP – You can replace the turkey with left over Christmas ham (just omit the bacon!)