YUM! Who doesn’t love a comforting cottage pie? Ok, so it’s usually a winter meal but when you’re a busy mum, a meal loved by the whole family and jam packed with veggies, it becomes an all year round dinner winner, right!
We cook this all the time (probably at least once a fortnight), the kids love it and you can pretty much just add any veggies you’ve got leftover in the fridge to make the filling. Sweeeeet!
We found this on taste.com.au and haven’t changed a thing, cause we think it’s perfect just the way it is!
1 x tbs olive oil
1 x brown onion, finely chopped
1 x carrot, peeled, finely chopped
2 x celery stalks, trimmed, finely chopped
500g beef mince
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
2 tbls tomato paste
1 x 400g can crushed tomatoes
1 x tsp of dried mixed herbs
2/3 cup frozen peas
600g orange sweet potato, peeled, chopped into small cubes
1/4 cup of milk
1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C for a fan-forced.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan or frypan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until onion has softened.
3. Add mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up any mince lumps, for 5 minutes or until browned.
4. Add worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, tomato and herbs. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until thickened, stir in the peas then transfer mixture to an oven proof casserole dish and set aside.
5. Whilst simmering your beef mixture, place sweet potato in a saucepan of boiling water for 8 minutes or until just tender. Drain, then add milk and butter. Mash until smooth.
7. Serve and enjoy!
A new family favourite!
(P.S. Sorry about the final pic, hubby and the kids started digging in before I had time to take a pic of the final result! The nerve! haha!)