Let’s be honest, how good does Bakers Delight smell? Seriously. I can’t walk past without buying something! The danish pastry’s, the cape seed rolls, the sprinkle finger buns and the scrolls. Oh the scrolls! So good!
Ok, so these might not be the real “Bakers Delight” macoy but these Cheese and Ham scrolls are pretty darn good if I do say so myself. Quick to make, you will have the ingredients already in your fridge/pantry and you can adapt the recipe by swapping out the chutney and ham and replacing with vegemite if that’s what you (or the kiddies!) prefer!
1. Pre heat your oven to 200 degrees and line a flat baking tray with baking paper.
2. Place flour into a large mixing bowl and add butter. Rub together with your fingers until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs, make a well in the center.
3. Add the milk into the well and slowly mix together using a butter knife, “cutting” the mixture until it starts to form a dough.
4. Once the mixture is almost combined, tip out onto a floured surface and kneed the dough together until smooth.
5. Using a rolling pin, roll out into a large rectangle shape around 1.5cm thick.
6. Spread the chutney (or pasata) over the dough like you’re making a pizza base. Spread the ham over the tomato then sprinkle with the grated cheese. (If you are using Vegemite, spread with a little melted butter, then the Vegemite, then the cheese)
7. Starting at the long end of the dough closest to you, gently roll the dough up like a Swiss roll then cut into approximately 12 even slices.
8. Place the scrolls onto the baking tray, close together with the join facing inwards so it doesn’t unroll whilst cooking.
9. Place into the oven and bake for approximately 15 – 20mins or until they are golden brown and cooked through.
10. Leave to cool on the tray for a couple of minutes before transferring onto a cooling rack.
Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Great to freeze, pop in school lunch boxes or serve to guests for afternoon tea.
Recipe adapted from: www.taste.com.au/recipes/461/ham+and+tomato+cheese+scrolls