BERRY BISCUITS (COSMIC CRUNCHIES)
It’s always hard trying to find the right balance between providing the kids with a healthy lunch box treat whilst also ensuring it’s fun and enticing.
We, like most mums we know, shove a packet of this and a box of that in their lunch box most mornings but every now and then we find the time (and the motivation!) to wow our toughest (and littlest!) critics.
Enter Play School and Cosmic Crunchies! Watching the show with the girls one day (I think at one stage they had actually left the room for a good ten mins whilst I was still glued to the telly!) they started making these delish little delights, so naturally, to satisfy our “I can bake that, if Play School can bake that, I can bake that” inner cravings – we made them!
* Recipe from Play School Recipes, ABC Kids, abc.net.au.
1 & 1/2 cups Self Raising Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
115g unsalted butter (cut into little squares)
2 x eggs
75g caster sugar
A handful of frozen berries
115g sultanas (one of those kids little snack packets is perfect)
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius.
2. Sift four and baking powder into a large bowl.
3. Use your fingers to rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
4. Add the eggs and sugar, stirring together until you have stiff dough. Add more flour if you feel it is too gluggy.
5. Gently kneed in berries and sultanas.
6. Using your hands, roll small balls of dough, around a tablespoons worth and place onto a greased baking tray.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes approximately 15.
MAMA’S TIP: Cooking butter is best to use (Homebrand is great) and not the spreadable butter, the softer it is the butter is, the harder it is to form the breadcrumb texture with the flour.