Spaghetti Carbonara, the perfect mid week meal to whip up when the fridge is starting to look a little bare. With staple ingredients and minimal effort, you can have this family favourite from stove to table within 15mins.
1 tablespoon olive oil
200g chopped bacon (smoked hickory is best for flavour)
2 tsp crushed garlic
3 eggs, plus 1 extra yolk
100ml thickened cream
2/3 cup grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves (optional – I left out so the kids didn’t moan about green bits!)
1. Cook pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a frypan over medium heat. Cook bacon stirring, for 2-3 minutes until it begins to crisp. Add garlic for 30 seconds, then set pan aside.
3. Place eggs, yolk, cream and parmesan in a bowl. Season, then gently whisk together.
4. Drain pasta, then return to the pan.
5. Quickly add the egg and pancetta mixtures to the pasta and toss to combine – the heat from the pasta will cook the egg slightly and form a creamy sauce.
6. Serve immediately with extra parmesan and garlic bread – delizioso!